I have always been in love with horses and the American West having grown up on western film, so just as thrilling to me has been my good fortune to photograph some of our local ranch life. My favorite photo shoots are being out on the ranches, absorbing every detail of work during branding season. The dust, the smoke, the smell of leather and the scent of sweat on the horses. The comradery and laughter between the cowboys, cows calling to their calves. I find myself leaning in to take the tight shots that convey the details in the chaps and spurs, their creases and textures, well-worn leather or a weathered face. With tight shots, the viewer’s eye is drawn to the details that typically go unnoticed, be it rust, textures, etc. I get great satisfaction from what I capture in this manner. Achieving in the printed image, what I saw through the lens, is greatly rewarding to me. When I am behind the lens, nothing else seems to exist except what I am looking at through the lens and thankfully, I’ve been saved a couple of times by a cowboys’ shout when a protective cow has sized me up when I’ve been too close to her calf.
One of the best things about putting this collection of photographs together for the SWC book was going through and rediscovering images that I had forgotten. And isn’t that what taking photographs is all about? Recording life events, scenic places and treasured moments. Photographs can bring you back to a time and place with such intensity, it’s as if was yesterday. I invite you to into my galleries and I hope you enjoy the images I have chosen to share. My work can be found at the following locations:
Galleries: Grand Valley Books, Grand Junction, Ago Gallery, Ouray, CO
Note cards: Can be found at Camelot Gardens, Montrose, CO, Lupita's, Ridgway, CO, Between The Covers, Telluride, North Moon Gallery, Ouray, Grand Valley Books, Grand Junction.
What I've been doing:
- Finalist - Cowboys & Indians magazine annual photo contest with "Gunnison River Sunset"
2016 - Book Awards
- Winner - USA Regional Excellence in Book Awards for “SWC - Southwest Colorado”, in two categories: Coffee Table book and Photography book, “West” region.
- Finalist at the 10th Annual National Indie Excellence Awards in two categories: Coffee Table book and Photography book.
- Finalist at the Next Generation Indie Book Awards for Coffee Table/Photography book. (Five awards in all!!!)
- Winner - Cowboys & Indians annual photo Contest for best Landscape with "Back Country"
- Sell-out!!! Second printing in March 2016 of “SWC-Southwest Colorado”.
- 1st Place-Professional division with "Charro Spurs" at Uintah Arts Council, Vernal, UT
- Published “SWC-Southwest Colorado” a 120 page coffee table book portraying 50 color photographs of Southwest Colorado scenery in Nov. 2015. Sold out in two months!
- Exhibit at Ridgway Library, Ridgway, CO – January – March
- Best of Show & People's Choice Award for "Gotta Crush on You" - October 2015
- Winner of Mildred W. Baker Memorial Purchase award 2015 for "Last Day of Summer".
- Photography judge for the 55th annual Artists’ Alpine Holiday, Ouray, CO – July 2015
- Finalist and published in the 2015 Photographer's Forum book "Best of Photography 2015" for "Contemplating Vertical"
- Honorable Mention for “Setting the Brand” - Ridgway, CO, Open Exhibition of Regional Artists, sponsored by the Ridgway Creative District – October 2014
- Exhibit: The Canyon Gallery, Montrose, CO – May 2013 through August 2014
- Exhibit: Ridgway Library, Ridgway, CO - September - November 2014
- Exhibit: Ouray County Ranch History Museum – July 2013 (Fund raiser)
- Photography judge for the Ouray County Historical Society's photo contest - May 2013
- Exhibit: Cimarron Books – August 2012 - March 2013
- Exotic Earth Coffee Roasters, Ridgway, CO, - Image of the San Juan's is used on their Coffee label and building signage.
- Hampton Inn, Montrose, CO – Purchased photography for their lobby.